Saturday, November 26, 2005

USB cable not included??

So, today was black friday. The day where insane people line up outside stores at 5am to get insane deals on anything from toys to electronics. My wife got her wake-up call from Kermit the frog this morning and hurried on down to Target where they had various sales including inkjet printers. She found the Lexmark Z517 for around $16. It's for her mother, not as a christmas gift, but just because she needs one. So, like the good son-in-law that I am, I head on over to my mother-in-law's to hook this thing up to her PC.

I get it out of the box, untwist the cable tie on the power cord. get the CD out and reach into the box to get the USB cable. It's not in the bag, not in the box. There' s no hidden compartments in there or anything. I even checked inside the printer. No USB cable at all.

My first thought is WTF?? They forgot the cable. I look on the box where it says "Contained in this box"
- Power Cord: check
- printer: check
- software: check

Wait, no USB cable?
I call the 800 #, wait about 5 minutes and finally get some guy on the phone. English was obviously not his first language. He tells me, "yes, that model does not include the USB cable." "Why?", I ask. "Because you have to buy one." was his response.

I asked him why is it that this box did not have a notation on it anywhere that says USB cable not included. I asked, "why is this essential piece of equipment not included when the printer needs it to operate?" There was dead silence on the other end for a good 20 seconds while I waited. I realized I had stumped him. He said he'd escalate the issue so that it doesnt happen to anyone else. Yeah right, what a load of crap. I told him not to bother because nobody at Lexmark will care.

So, when you buy something that needs batteries, most times the box sayd "batteries not included". I think that if something is necessary for the product to be able to be used, it should be in the box, or at least tell you on the box that you need to get one.

Now, some folks may tell me that this is not uncommon with printers. It's news to me because I've only owned 2 inkjets in the last 5 years. they both came with a USB cable. I've never even considered that they wouldnt come with one. Lexmark probably determined that they'll save 25 cents on each unit if they don't include a USB cable. I'm fine with that. PUT IT ON THE BOX!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home